S.S. No. 1 Huntley - Mulligan’s School
2193 Richardson Side Rd., Carp
Thomas Mulligan donated land in 1820 for the site of “Mulligan’s School”. Initially there were log structures before a stone building was erected in 1883. An organ was installed in 1929. The building ceased operation as a school in 1957 and became a residence for several families. In 1989, it was converted into the popular “Cheshire Cat” old English pub. It is owned by Dustin & Crystal Therrien, and is also a designated heritage site.
S.S. No. 2 Huntley
3012 Carp Road, Carp
S.S. No. 2 Huntley began as a log school, circa 1835, on land that belonged to Huntley’s first settler, John Cavanagh. Christ Church, in the parish of Huntley, was built next to it in 1838. The brick building was erected in 1903. After the school closed in the late 1940s, Howard Rump purchased it for income for the church, and it is now rented out as a residence.