S.S. No 2 Newboyne
3600 County Rd. 5, Portland
When the white wooden schoolhouse in Newboyne and the Harlem schoolhouse were both burned to the ground in 1915-16, it was rumoured the Germans were behind the arson. The brick schoolhouse was erected on County Road 5 in 1918. It closed in 1936 due to a lack of students, and the few who remained went to S.S. No. 1 Newboyne. In 1956, S.S. No. 1 closed and the students were transported to S.S. No. 2 Newboyne, which finally closed its doors in 1966 when Rideau Centennial School opened. Shortly afterwards, the old schoolhouse was sold to the Anglican Church Women (ACW) for $1 and became St. Peter’s Anglican Church Hall.