S.S. No. 16 Clarence - l'école Clarence Creek
formerly at Chemain Landry et Chemin Baseline, Clarence Creek
This French one-room school was built in 1881 in the rural community of Clarence Creek. It was one of the first brick schools in Ontario. Gilles Chartrand, curator of the Musee Clarence-Rockland Museum attended Grades 1-8 from 1950 to 1956. There was a school reunion in 1987. In front of the school is a beautiful cross with a ladder (depicting how Jesus was hung on the cross), two lances (how he was stabbed), a hammer (to pound in the nails in his hands and feet) and plyers (to pull out the nails). Below is a religious picture inside the box with the Latin inscription INRI (King of the Jews). The school was demolished in 1962.